Pages

Monday, April 18, 2011

Indie Direction Weekly Report #1: UnrealScript, Video Tutorials and a Book


Hey there! I apparently have some big issues with staying organised. This is obvious if you have a look at the way I post on the blog. It's been 5 month already, since I've registered the blog and we have only 6 posts here.
But I'm really taking the idea of the blog seriously, so that's why I decided to bring some system to it! We'll have weekly reports! Every Sunday evening (according to my time - GMT+4) I you'll find here a post about:


  • What I've been doing about the project this week
  • What I'm planning to share with you
  • What I'm planning to do next week about the project
I think it will be both informative for you and motivating for me! I mean like, a word is a word! (Although we already had a case of me not keeping my word. I apologize for that.) One of the main reasons why I haven't been posting so much, is that because of my big pause in writing, we've got a lot of catching up to do. And I couldn't find a way to do that until now.I think it will be fun! 

So let's get started! I've got some exciting things to tell you about!


This week I've been messing with UnrealScript. It has actually been already more then a month that I'm trying to master it and I have to say it's not easy.
The main problem with UnrealScript is that most of the tutorials and information on the web about it (which is not a lot) is not for the mobile version of UDK. And you might think that there is no big difference, but actually difference is huge! UDK Mobile Editor and the classes that it uses have much less preset functions/prewritten scripts then normal UDK Editor has. That was actually a big disappointment for me to learn about. The excitement I had vanished at first... Things appeared to be harder.

So the situation with finding information about UnrealScripts classes mostly looks like this:
  • You search for something you don't know how to do. (say create a weapon)
  • You find an article with the similar headline.
  • You read the article and it's pretty short. You feel relieved "It's not so hard!"
  • Then you find out that the person who wrote it, is using UDK's prewritten UT classes, that have everything what you need already, but are not supported by UDK Mobile in the first place. 
But nevertheless I'm not giving up! I've already learned a lot, but I still can't claim that I clearly understand the way UnrealScript works and all of it's paradigms.

So this week I've been struggling with a Pawn's (character's) Inventory, PickupFactory and Weapon classes... I had some steps forward, but they were achieved by hours of struggling.

I have and idea of how I can speed up my UnrealScript study. I'll write about it in the ending part of the post.

What I'm planning to share with you should be really useful! At least I hope so! I'm preparing what I've always wanted to do... 
It's a video tutorial! I myself learned a lot of things from video tutorials, so I thought why not! 
Well... it appeared to be pretty hard! Actually much harder then I thought! English is not my native language as u might have noticed, so I have to really work hard when making a tutorial. I have to think of what I'm doing, I have to think of how to say it and I have to listen to myself carefully, so I notice mistakes. I never did that before and after the first 2 hours I felt like I was incredibly tired! I actually don't remember when I got so tired last. 
Also I'm not sure if I'm allowed to call it a tutorial, because, as you know, I'm still studying the subject. So let's say it's a student to student help ;)
I've got 3 topic on my mind at the moment:
  1. "Side Scroller Game using Unreal Kismet" More then a half of it is already done and you can expect it to be released in a few days.)
  2. "UDK Mobile Editor" I didn't plan to do anything about it, but when I was doing the Kismet tutorial, I understood you might need at least a brief explanation of how I imported and placed character, how I used volumes and stuff like that. BUT I will make the video only if I don't find a good one, that already exists and is free.
  3. "Side Scroller Game using UnrealScript" That's the video I'm really looking forward to! It will show the difference between Kismet-only and UnrealScript approaches in it, continueing the topic of Kismet vs UnrealScript but also providing more detailed information! 
Also a topic to talk about is Game Design! Technical part is for sure important, but as far as we're in the situation of playing one man band's role, we also have to think of even more significant questions. There is no need in a technical knowhow if there is no idea and balanced design behind it!

Andrew Rollings and Ernest Adams on Game DesignI'm currently reading Andrew Rollings and Ernest Adams on Game Design and I have to say it's awesome! This book is changing the way I think about designing a game. It's filled up with tons of examples from real life! This is not only really informative and useful, it's also motivating. With every new page I read, I feel like I'm getting closer and closer to the community of game developers. I believe it's a must have for everyone following the same dream that I do. I'm really thankful to Andrew Rollings and Ernest Adams for writing this book!
When I'm done with the book I will for sure write a few posts with resumes of the major topics I found important.


The following week I'm planning to spend maximum time working on understanding UnrealScript! I need  to finish the PickupFactory and Inventory things as fast as possible, because I've spent too much time on it already!
A few days ago I came up with the idea of how I can speed up my studying process and also give you guys more information, that I personally couldn't find anywhere on the Internet. I'm planning to get it from pro and half-pro UDK coders!
The idea is I'll trade my work for their knowledge! I'm not sure if you're familiar with IndieDB, but what you need to know is that it's a community of independent game developers. And in the same way as I don't have a   coder in my indie team, there might be a good UnrealScript coder who doesn't have a 3d animator/modeler/rigger on his team! It's also pretty common that they one can't afford to have a person like that on the team. (Like in my case) And as you people might have heard, I'm pretty good in animation, modeling and rigging.
So in a few days I'm planning to post a preposition of doing say 1-2 hours of work in return for 30 minutes of consulting from an experienced person. I can do even more work for the person, all I need is the answers!)) A small talk and few examples must be enough for me.


It's already not Sunday evening as I'm finishing to write this post... It's Monday in my city and the new week already started.
I just had this funny filling... I can swear I felt the smell of sea breath, saw bright sunlight and felt free! It's a silly thing, but with this project I imagine myself trying to break out from a prison by digging with a spoon :)
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment