Pages

Monday, April 25, 2011

Weely Report #2


Hey there! Yeah yeah yeah the weekly reports are supposed to keep me organized and make me do what I say I plan to do, but… you know me! I didn't do totally do what I was planning to do this week although I have some breakthroughs! So let's get started with that!


This week I managed to solve the picking up problem, but I did it a bit other way then I planned. I didn't use UDK's pickup factories. I created a peaceable subclass of Actor that just has a touch action to inform the Pawn and after that destroy the actor. The best decisions are always the simplest ones, you know! I have to thank Mougli for what he wrote at his blog! It really helped me with that! His blog is kinda the same one as mine is, but he writes only about UnrealScript and writes about that in a really good manner! He apparently has much better coding skills and took the learning thing much more serious. I believe he read the whole documentation of UnrealScript. I should've done it long time ago, but I thought it's too much of boring reading for me. But here I am now reading both his blog and the whole documentation and it really made me evolve much faster.



About the game design of our first game! Thanks to my girlfriend I came up with the better idea of the game! Now we have the character! And it's going to be a crazy grandma under RedBull overdose that hurries to come back home from a mall to feed her baby grandchild! She tries to get there as fast as possible, but the whole world is against her! At first it's just traffic and some seldom people, but then things go wild! Zombies, beasts and stuff like that stand in her way! But she just can't stop! Her child is starving and because of her overdose she has to keep drinking RedBulls, otherwise she dies from a heart attack! She has the ability to hit anything with her bag while she's on the go! But that's not it! She gets some crazy superpowers from time to time, like Crazy Moma Megaspeed or things like that! I didn't think through all the details yet! But what I like is that it still seams like not so hard to accomplish! I believe I'll get a draft of the whole gameplay in two weeks, now when I have the knowledge!

I see it all as a bunch of actors with touch actions and all we'll need to change after the change is a meaning of a variable that will represent the level of RedBull in blood, which in fact is health for the character! What also has to be changed after that is a touch actions, when the Pawn has the superpower! Seems pretty simple to me!

As to the video tutorial I've mentioned before! I just looked through it and it was all like "em", "aaahm.." and so on, so I decided not to post it so far the way it is. I need better preparation to do it, because it was all me figuring out what to do instead of explaining the whole process. I just don't want you guys to fall asleep while watching it! I swear I'll post it during the next few days!



As to the plans for the week! Well, if I manage to keep up the speed of developing and studying that I currently have I'll set up the obstacles scripts, superpowers and RedBull stuff too! I should already start thinking about the design, so far I just have the placeholder graphics for the things to bee seen and animated! You'll see the placeholders in the video tutorial, I really love em! The character's name is Walter! :P



So I guess that's it for this productive, but not much to talk about week!
Cheers and have a good time!

No comments:

Post a Comment